Links and other resources to supplement my discussion of the 7 films in the Noir series I’m showing at DEAR in the fall of 2021.
Maltise Falcon (1941)
- What Makes a film noir? Huge graphic from the British Film Institute that provides a great checklist for assessing a film’s noir level. I’ll likely borrow from this from time to time during the series.
- Bonhams listing for the TCM-sponsored auction of the Falcon prop in 2013
- The Laura Story in David Raksin’s own words.
Out of the Past (1947)
- Roger Ebert Review of Out of the Past from 2004 in his list of 300+ Great Movies
- Roger Ebert review of 200 Cigarettes, which cites Out of the Past as the model for stylish smoking and contains the Ebert quote from the lecture.
- Great dialog lines culled from the final shooting script