AKA the Steve Gates Quartet, Chuck Dye Quartet, Bruce Goldman Quartet, or Al Biles Quartet – whoever gets the gig gets to fill in the blank. Sometimes we just leave out the blank and call ourselves THE Quartet. Maybe not the best branding strategy…
Steve is the drummer, Chuck plays 7-string guitar, Bruce is on upright bass, and Al plays trumpet & flugelhorn. We’ve been playing together in various overlapping groups for many years, but this quartet is truly special and reflects a solid set of shared musical values.
The repertoire is a very eclectic mix of straight-up jazz: Miles, Monk, Gershwin, Golson, Porter, Shorter, Silver, Rollins, Jobim, Ellington, just to name a few. We excel in coffee houses (see image below), cafes and clubs, as well as parties and receptions. Wherever we play, we love to share our enjoyment of great music with our listeners.
- Biographies – Four guys to fill in the blank
- Gigs! – Upcoming and recent performances
- Repertoire – Some of our tunes and how we think about what we play
- Videos – Some from performances, some from rehearsals, all one take
- Photos – From various gigs
- Promo Materials – A one sheet and some flyers
- Stage setup – We just need power and a little room
- Contact Al Biles – It’s his site, so this time he gets to fill in the blank…